An Overview of an Emotional Support Letter


In a bid to make your pet qualify as your emotional support animal, you’re required to get a letter from licensed and certified health counselor or medical professional prescribing the requirement of the pet as your emotional support animal. The Emotional Support Letter is a letter that is offered by a licensed mental health professional or therapist which states that your pet is the emotional support service pet. However, it’s necessary for you to be considered as emotionally disabled, diagnosed with a mental disorder by your healthcare provider and this emotional support animal letter must be written in prescribed format on the letterhead of the health provider.

What Does ESA Letter State?

The Emotional Support Letter that the person is:

  • The patient of mental disorder
  • He/she is under treatment of mental health provider.
  • Undertreatment of mental disorder which is included in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders version 4 or 5
  • Suffering from a mental or emotional disorder that hampers one of their life activities
  • Prescribed by certified mental health providers an emotional support animal as a part of treatment
  • The Emotional Support Letter must not be older more than one yearEMOTIONAL SUPPORT ANIMAL

Who Qualifies for ESA Letter?

The person is required to be considered emotionally disabled by therapists or mental health provider to qualify for Emotional Support Letter for animals. The person needs to be diagnosed with a mental disorder that falls into the category listed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorder Version 4 or 5. The conditions that qualify you to get the ESA Letter from your mental health provider is:

  • Sexual Disorders
  • Learning Disorders
  • ADD or ADHD
  • Motor Skills Disorders
  • Mental Retardation
  • Gender Identity
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Disorders due to substance abuse
  • Cognitive Disorders
  • Clinical Depression
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorders
  • Tic Disorders

Getting Your Emotional Support Letter for Animal

Having your pet animals with you on your flight seems to be a great idea, but getting the ESA Letter without the need for support is not a justification indeed. The Emotional Support Letter program is already under scrutiny today that allows the pets in places where they might not require. So, it’s necessary for you to discuss your options with the therapist and mental health provider before getting your emotional support animal letter.

To get your ESA Letter for your pets, it’s necessary for you to be considered emotionally disabled by your mental health provider. The certified and licensed therapists and mental health providers are the right people to offer you the ESA Letter. However, if getting an ESA Letter is not necessary, then it’s better for you to avoid getting the letter to maintain the integrity of the ESA community alive.

You may approach any certified and qualified therapist or mental health provider in your area to get your ESA Letter. However, it would help if you proved that you’re diagnosed with any of the mental disorders mentioned above.

Written By